About Us

Since its founding in 1865, the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers has actively fought to improve our members’ quality of life – on and off the job – through access to fair wages, good benefits, safe working conditions, and solidarity among members.

Today, we represent the most highly skilled trowel trades craftworkers across the United States and Canada including bricklayers, stone and marble masons, cement masons, plasterers, tilesetters, terrazzo and mosaic workers, and pointers/ cleaners/ caulkers. With over a century of protecting the rights of our workers, BAC is the oldest continuous union in North America.

Join BAC

BAC Regions & Locals

BAC membership is represented by Locals and Administrative District Councils (ADCs) in five regions – Northeast, North Central, South, West, and Canada.

International Masonry Institute

The International Masonry Institute (IMI) is a labor-management cooperative of BAC and the contractors who employ its members. 

line of workers

BAC Crafts

BAC members are skilled craftworkers in a variety of crafts – Brick, Tile, Stone, Marble, Terrazzo, Cement, Plaster, and PCC/Restoration.


BAC’s Executive Board is elected by the delegates to the International Union’s Convention, which is held once every five years.

Learn More


Below is list of frequently asked questions. You can also find answers by choosing a category of your questions.

How do I know if the correct contributions are made to my pension, health and welfare, and other benefit funds?

Contractors make direct contributions to benefit funds. The funds keep track of the hours you work and ensures that the appropriate contributions are being made, following up with delinquent contractors until the money is deposited properly. You can help by keeping copies of all pay stubs, since they indicate the number of hours you worked and the contributions your employer owes. Pay stubs can be valuable evidence when a contractor has not paid you fairly or has failed to make contributions. Information from pay stubs can also be useful if you are injured or become ill from a job-related hazard. International and Local benefit funds send participants annual or periodic statements, which can be used to verify the accuracy of their records.

When do I get a raise?

BAC members are covered by collective bargaining agreements – legally binding documents explaining what the contractor must pay you in wages, when and how wages will increase, and the fringe benefits available. The collective bargaining agreement also outlines the work rules the contractor has agreed to follow. To make sure you understand your rights, contact your Local/ADC for a copy of its collective bargaining agreement.

What are my rights?
  • The right, through collective bargaining, to have your voice heard when it comes to your wages, benefits, and working conditions.
  • The right to Union representation if you are discriminated against or unfairly dismissed from a job.
  • The right to safe working conditions.
  • The right to dignity at work.
  • The right to a secure retirement.
Am I allowed to work outside my Local/ADC area?

Yes. Your affiliation with BAC means you can travel to other Locals’ markets and be guaranteed Union wages, protection, and support. When you travel outside of your home Local, be sure to check in with the Local/ADC in the area where you plan to work.

What if I have a problem on the job?

Your first line of defense is the BAC steward assigned to the job. If there is no steward, contact your Local/ADC officer or Field Representative as soon as possible. Early notification enables your Local/ADC officers and representatives to better represent you and address your concerns.